May 31, 2009

Today was another tough day for Bryce in terms of pain and weakness. However, he was a real trooper despite the pain and weakness. He sat in a chair a couple of times for a total of five hours and walked in his room unassisted. Ultimately this did wear him out and he was glad to lay back in bed.

Because of his white blood count he can't walk in the hall right now - the doctors don't want him outside of his room.

This evening Kendra and I were able to spend some time alone with Bryce and had a very good visit with him. We had a very spiritual discussion that was very touching to us. The last 4+ weeks has really purified him - there is a special innocence and sweetness to our son that he has gained through this hospitalization.

I have mentioned in other updates of how polite and kind and gracious Bryce has been to others - even those who cause him to have more pain. On a number of occasions I will tell him, "Bryce, I am so sorry that you have to go through all of this." He will reply, "It is okay, Dad."

Over the years Bryce and I have had our differences and at times, unfortunately, our relationship has been strained. We have always loved each other and have also had some special times.Every time I see Bryce I hold his hand and he gives me a squeeze and I tell him how much I love him. It is so special to me as he then tells me, "I love you too, Dad."

We had a very special relationship when he was a little boy and had so many medical challenges. Over the years my wife and I have spent many hours, since Bryce was only 11 months, sitting by his bedside and praying for the Lord to bless our dear son and often seeing miracles take place in his life.

Tonight I asked Bryce if he feels hope that he will survive this cancer. He told us that he does, that he really feels that he will make it. We discussed that his positive attitude and his faith are most important. We reiterated that his life is really in the Lord's hands!

Anyway it was a very special evening tonight to share feelings with our beloved son. We are so grateful for the wonderful privilege that is ours to be his parents.

0 comments:

Post a Comment